Monday, May 17, 2010

Corrosion Explosion

I got to experimenting with a few techniques for the old rusty nail, guaranteed tetanus shot look in the garage this weekend. I wanted the props to look more realistic during the daylight, and the black PVC fence was just looking too “tidy” for my taste.

I have this:

And I want this:

RustyFence-709218

 

NoRust

 

 

So, I dug out some left over plastic finials and started my quest for metal decay!

 

 

I’m not going to drag you step by step through the errors I made trying to get this to work. Dixie put up with enough abuse to cover everyone. I’ll spare you guys from the ordeal and skip to the end.

 

After 3 hours I finally ended up with the fine piece of tetanus on the right:

 

It doesn’t really take 3hrs to accomplish the look, it just takes me 3hrs of playing around and repainting to figure out what works.

Ok, this is what you’ll need:

  • Orange latex paint
  • Small sea sponge
  • Wood glue
  • 50/50 mixture of dark brown latex paint and water in spray bottle
  • Mahogany wood stain
  • Sand

And this is what you do:

  1. Coat the item liberally with wood glue.
  2. Throw sand onto the item ensuring it sticks to the glue. This will give you the grungy texture we are looking for on the prop.
  3. Let this dry.
  4. Take the sea sponge and randomly dab the orange latex paint over the item.
  5. Spray or drip the 50/50 brown paint mix over the item while the orange paint is still wet.
  6. Allow the two paints to run and mix.
  7. Oh, this gets kind of messy so I hope you read ahead and haven’t just ruined your kitchen table!
  8. Now, drip some of the Mahogany wood stain onto the prop to dirty up the look.
  9. Set aside and let dry.
  10. That’s it!

I’m not sure how well this will hold up outside in the elements, so you might want to seal this with a urethane to be safe.

I’ve read of other people using concrete patch to create their texture, so I ran out last night and bought a small tub of ready mix concrete patch for about $8 at Home Depot. I’ve applied it to a PVC pipe and rolled the pipe in sand but it takes 24 hours to cure, so I’ll update this post later with the progress.

I would love to hear how everyone else dirties up their props. The more techniques I can pick up the better, so chime in and let me know what you do with your haunt.

Now, back to the garage! I have to get columns and a Facade/Mausoleum designed and started.

Post a Comment

Blogroll

Related Posts with Thumbnails