So, remember a few posts back when I said that I would figure out how to stake them in the yard… later? Well, at some point, I had the brilliant (sarcasm at its best, right there) idea to glue them on foam platform bases, and then stake the bases to the ground. Great idea. ?@?!(*$*&@??
Worked REALLY well in my living room.
And, they even worked in the yard for a few days…. We used landscape fabric stakes to pierce the foam base, and anchor to the ground. Sounded like such a great plan.
Two different bases… sans the grave… DOH!
Imagine my surprise walking to the mailbox THAT day?!? (I married a sailor, so you can imagine what spewed outta my mouth) Luckily, the wind that caused this catastrophe had NOT carried my gravestones away, I think the fence stopped them, heh.
But the good news is…. wow, those bases are ANCHORED to the ground, baby… no stability issues THERE. (rolls eyes)
So, we had to do emergency surgery, and just like stitches on the battlefield, it wasn’t pretty. PVC painted to match the particular grave was driven into the base and the ground behind the stone, and Liquid Nailed to the foam. Ugh.
I don’t have pictures of the back – frankly, I don’t want to see any of them again. I think 3 of them got messed up, the rest were fine. (And it wasn’t even all “high profile” or tall graves… it was just the ones that I guess the Liquid Nails didn’t cure good enough, or get enough contact area… no rhyme or reason)
Sigh. Don’t do what I did. Embed the PVC in the center, or drill holes for rebar, or make them out of CONCRETE as was intended (kidding). Just don’t expect Liquid Nails to hold them to bases. (ok, fine. You wouldn’t have thought that in the first place, I know. Just work with me here) ;)
The “Good to know” part of all this – the landscape stakes kept those bases INTACT. After inserting them into a foam base, you can paint them to match, and even take them out at the end of the season to store…
Live and learn. Or, die and learn, I guess!